Here's the block of maple that the new neck was made from. Because this was a one-off, I did all
the layouts right on the block. I machined the slots in the headstock, the tuner holes, the slot for the
carbon fiber reinforcements, and the counterbores for the scroll pieces on my milling machine.
The completed neck, in the foreground, next to the original neck.
On this project, I shaped the fingerboard completely before gluing it to the neck. The profile
is the classic upright style, which is an increasing radius with a flat under the E string. Because
this was a one-off, it wasn't worth it to make up a special fixture to cut the profile with a router.
So, I cut it the old-fashioned way, sticking it to a long board and hand planing it to shape with
a very sharp old Sargent jointer plane.
Here's the neck (on the left) with most of the rough shaping done. A bundle of carbon fiber strands was
embedded in the neck down near the bottom to keep it from stretching and bowing over time.
You can see the counterbores on the sides of the headstock that the cast resin scroll pieces
will fit into. The neck blank on the right was also for Mike, for a custom order
electric bass for another customer.
This is the monster truss rod system that I made up to allow adjustment of the
overhanging end of the fingerboard. I machined up all the parts from brass and steel, and
used a milling machine to cut the recesses in the underside of the fingerboard. That truss
rod is 1/4" drill rod, with 1/4-20 threads. It takes a lot of muscle to bend a 7/8" thick
slab of ebony! It's double acting, to allow the fingerboard to be adjusted up or down.